Formulation Chemist – San Jose, CA
Caliva is your friendly and trusted cannabis brand. We believe in wellness options that work for your lifestyle; in boosting your spirits and seeking adventure; in motivating the mind, steadying the body and being inspired to create. A true seed to sale company; we cultivate happy plants and happy people and strive to provide California with dependable cannabis options. We were ranked #1 in the nation by Business Insider and stand by our promise of consistency, transparency, and accessibility.
Join the Caliva team as a Formulation Chemist and become part of something exciting. As one of the largest cannabis companies in the state of California, we pride ourselves in our compliance, professionalism, commitment to quality, and positive atmosphere.
The Formulation Chemist will formulate and facilitate the development of innovative products, line extensions, and other product improvements. The Formulation Chemist must command a strong understanding of GMP (Good Manufacturing Procedures), GLP (Good Laboratory Procedures), and experienced with developing SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for the personal care industry. In addition, the Formulation Chemist will actively participate in the training and mentoring of junior chemists, technicians, and support staff to ensure compliance with proper procedures and protocols.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Create new prototype formulations to meet the needs of the market and conduct all required stability and performance testing of new products.
- Create innovative formulations that meet company guidelines for cost and stability
- Prepare submission bench batches for preliminary approvals based on prescribed formulations and product specifications.
- Compile and analyze test information to make improvements as needed to reach desired results.
- Ensure stability, and efficacy according to project requirements. Issue product specifications as required and maintain relevant data throughout each product’s development.
- Proactively scan and research new concepts, materials, technical opportunities and partnerships.
- Identify new/improved formulation technologies and implement them to meet project needs.
- Identify and assess new raw materials and other technologies for continual updating of skin-care products
- Maintain technical knowledge through self-assigned research utilizing industry publications, establishing personal networks and researching state-of-the-art practices.
- Maintain accurate and organized sample records, written and digital.
- Work closely with the Research and Development team in setting product direction, establishing priorities, and recommending new development ideas.
- Work with Research and Development team to meet quality and cost targets. Assist with scale-ups and trouble-shooting.
- Confer with inter-departmental colleagues and provide recommendations to improve or customize formulas, processes or analytical methods.
- Assist in creating SOPs for scale up of new formulations
- Participate in the training and mentoring of junior chemists and technicians to ensure compliance with proper laboratory procedures, lab notebook entries and equipment use.
- Follow strict confidentiality guidelines including but not limited to, sensitive company, client, formulation, methodology and supplier information.
- Manage relationships with contractors and vendors
- Following company policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Must be able to prioritize and organize
Skills & Qualifications
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must possess a valid CA state Cannabis Recommendation/Card.
- Must be able to pass a background check conducted by the San Jose Police Department
- Must be reliable and dependable with good work ethic
- Bachelor Degree in Chemistry or related life sciences
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to foster teamwork
- Logical Thinker: Takes a step-by-step approach to analyze information and solve problems
- Detail Oriented: Pays close attention to all the little details
- Trustworthy: Known for personal integrity and honesty
- Experience with cannabis is a plus
Candidates please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest in this opportunity with Caliva.