Service Worker/Bus Washer – East Bay
This position reports to the maintenance department and requires the incumbent to be responsible for several duties required to maintain the buses and prepared them to be ready for the road. Successful candidates will ensure that the fleet is fully prepared for service.
- Ensure all vehicles are completely fueled and fluids topped, ready for service at various times of the day.
- Interiors cleaned according to contract.
- All fleet damage documented and communicated to appropriate personnel in the case of unreported damage.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must have CDL class C license.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Must be able to work a varied schedule, including weekends and evenings.
- Must be at least 21 years of age with a good driving record.
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is:
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Proof of vaccination is required for this position.
California Drivers license (Required)
We are committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. The information collected by this application is solely to determine suitability for employment, verify identity, and maintain employment statistics on applicants.
Where permissible under applicable state and local law, applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test and background check after receiving a conditional offer of employment
Driver – East Bay
$21.93 – $28.58/hour
Drives and maintains the appearance of the interior of the bus. Provides safe, reliable, and efficient transportation.
- Drives one of several different vehicle types in a safe, courteous, and reliable manner throughout the contracted service area within a daily assigned time schedule.
- Properly fills out and completes daily manifest. Depending on the location, this may be accomplished electronically through an onboard tablet / computer, or hand written.
- Performs pre/post trip vehicle inspections as required.
- Possess a functional knowledge of the demographics of the service area.
- Stops at designated points to board and/or deboard passengers.
- May assist in the boarding of passengers using wheelchairs or other mobility aids and is required to properly secure wheelchairs, scooters or other mobility aids.
- Notifies dispatch of deviations, overload, accidents, passenger incidents, medical/behavioral problems, or bus mechanical/electrical trouble.
- Assures that fares, if required, are collected and dispenses information. Advises passengers of rules and regulations when necessary.
- Completes and submits written reports concerning passengers and all accidents.
- Operates on-board computer systems including but not limited to: mobile computers, tablets, fare boxes, destination signs and in vehicle camera systems.
- Assumes any and all other duties assigned.
- Maintains a strong attendance record.
- Must drive to any assigned location, which may involve driving over bridges and through tunnels.
- Describe level of decision making and list examples of common decisions made:
- Typical decisions involving the safe operation of a vehicle with passengers on board.
Minimum Education & Certifications Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Possess or have the ability to obtain CDL Operators license with required endorsements
Experience & Skills Required:
Ability to read, write, and speak English and perform basic mathematical procedures.
Ability to work under stress and meet strict timelines.
Must be able to work without direct supervision.
Must read and understand street signs, route sheets and maps.
Excellent communication skills
Able to work shift hours and days assigned.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions (include amount of travel):
- Ability to verbally communicate with passengers and dispatchers/road supervisors including use of a 2-way radio and/or PA system.
- Possess excellent or corrected vision to allow operator to have the ability to read and comprehend written material. Must have good depth perception, peripheral vision, distance vision, and color perception as is required to drive a motorized vehicle.
- Possess a full range of sense of hearing, including tone, pitch, and volume when operating transit vehicle, using 2-way radio, and assisting passengers and public.
- Must have good manual dexterity in order to perform the basic functions of a tablet or onboard computer. Required to reach, grasp, and use multiple objects which include but are not limited to: a 2-way radio, door control, PA microphone, steering wheel, wheelchair lift control, and bus door control.
- Required to sit while operating vehicle approximately 75% of the work day. The remaining 25% of the day will require the operator to move both in the internal and exterior perimeters of the bus, including a pre-trip inspection of the vehicle by walking around and through the vehicle.
- Ability to push/pull tension of at least 50 pounds and ability to bend and stoop/kneel to assist passengers boarding and securing in wheelchair/scooters and/or to retrieve equipment. Twist at the knee and waist when operating vehicle, performing vehicle inspections, and securing wheelchairs. Reach forward, rearward, upward, and downward when operating vehicle, performing vehicle inspections, and securing wheelchairs.
- Subject to wet, cold, and/or hot environmental conditions.
- Subject to a low risk of injury due to vehicle accident, mechanical failure, fire, and/or explosion.
- Subject to vehicle noise and vibration while operating transit vehicle.
- Subject to vehicle exhaust fumes and odors, road dusts, and mist.
Proof of Vaccination is required for this position.
Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description reflects managements assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.