Examples of Duties:
Any one position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed. Incumbent may perform other related duties at the equivalent level.
- Cleans assigned buildings and areas.
- Removes trash and recyclables from terminal buildings to trash/recycle chutes and/or outside trash/recycle compactors.
- Operates electrical trash/recycle compactors.
- Sweeps outside areas and sidewalks; sweeps and mops rooms, halls, stairways, and public areas; cleans lighting fixtures; tops of windows, doorframes and other high areas; polishes furniture, woodwork, etc.
- Cleans restrooms; replenishes supplies; washes walls and windows; gathers and disposes of trash and wastes; removes chewing gum.
- Cleans, waxes, polishes, and shampoos floors and carpets using mechanical cleaners and polishers.
- Picks up trash, moves objects.
- Drives to and from work carrying supplies in a pick-up or walk-in van; receives and stores supplies.
- Gives directions and answers questions to general public.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
This position requires education and experience demonstrating possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities described above. A typical combination would include graduation from high school or its equivalent plus one year of experience performing custodial work at a heavy traffic facility with high interface with the public.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the typical task and duties of the position successfully, the knowledge, skills and/or abilities listed below are required.
- Common cleaning tools such as mops, brooms, vacuums, scouring devices, wax applicators, outdoor sweepers, power floor waxers and polishers, etc.
- Proper handling of cleaning chemicals and materials.
- Safety practices and procedures in handling cleaning chemicals and equipment.
- Operate large ride-on cleaning equipment, etc.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Perform routine repetitive tasks on a continuous basis.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the performance of duties and to work as a team.
- Work under deadlines and coordinate several concurrent assignments.