Lead Lifeguard – Full Time
$22.00 – $23.50/hour
Varying shift times as needed
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
In order to keep staff and participants as safe and healthy as possible, all staff working on-site will be required to be vaccinated (COVID-19) prior to beginning work.
Keeps the pool and surrounding area safe, and appropriately responds to emergencies that may occur. Provides leadership for coworkers while lifeguarding. Coaches staff to ensure that all are following established procedures and providing excellent customer service. Responsible for keeping various aspects of the pool in order, including the staff office, storage room, and pool deck. Presents a positive, enthusiastic and caring attitude to a diversified population of members and staff. Provides swim lesson instruction to a diverse population using national YMCA principles and program models.
Available Lifeguard shifts are as follows:
Monday – Friday: Opening or Evening/Closing
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year of lifeguarding experience
- Significant knowledge of swimming/aquatics
- Must be available for 30 hours per week of frontline work along with 10 hours of administrative work. Position does not exceed 40 hours per week
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Current YMCA approved certifications in: CPR, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen, Lifeguard and Swim Lessons or obtain within 30 days
- Ability to obtain YMCA certification as a Lifeguard Instructor
- Must be available to work 5 consecutive days a week, including one weekend day and holidays. Must be willing to cover varying shift times as needed
- Leadership or Supervisor experience.
- Additional certifications (YASA, ARC Lifeguard, ARC WSI, USA Swimming Coach, ASCA).
- Certifications in LGI and YSL
- Previous experience in competitive swimming
- Language skills in Mandarin, Cantonese or Spanish
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance a