Job Title: School Counselor Full-time (Non-Exempt)
Salary Range (DOE): $20.00-$25.00
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Success Centers (SC) is a non-profit corporation founded in 1983 by Superior Court Judges who saw the need to improve the educational and vocational outcomes for the for youth engaged in the juvenile justice and foster care systems. Since then, SC has grown to provide comprehensive workforce development and education services to youth and adults who face multiple barriers to career development. SC envisions a vibrant and just society that inspires individual transformation, and understands the key role that workforce development plays in creating meaningful and productive lives.
The School Counselor provides individual and group counseling to students in need of additional social-emotional support. School Counselors will work primarily with students on developing and implementing Individual Education Plans and general education needs, including obtaining their GED or High School Diploma. The School Counselor will communicate on-going student progress to parents/guardians, general education teachers, school administration, and other service professionals via progress reporting. This position also connects students to Job Readiness Training and other career pathway services.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to establish rapport with high risk youth.
• Knowledgably about GED testing system.
• Knowledge of the public, charter and community college systems.
• Knowledge of local community based organizations and their services
• Knowledge of various social service agencies (i.e, Juvenile Probation, Human Service, Mental Health Service systems).
• Familiar with a broad range of services for the target population.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Proven experience in one-on-one interventions with young people.
• Ability to multitask and teamwork.
• Spanish speaking desirable.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Assist with development and implementation of Outreach Activities to identify young people who haven’t finish high school and may be interested in the GED/High School Diploma program.
• Work with student to develop individualized educational plans and support their implementation
• Provide students with counseling to support their graduation goals
• Examine student’s records, conduct interviews and administer pre-test to students to measure their skills prior to the formal test date.
• Record case information, complete accurately all necessary forms.
• Gather documentation and information that assist students reenter school and matriculate into choose potential careers, post-secondary education, training programs or jobs.
• Provide resources and information about education and training programs for students interested in pursuing post-secondary studies.
• Provide students with consultation and references to determine career path.
• Connect students to Job Readiness Training and other career pathway services.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Effective Communication skills.
• Computer Literate
• California driver’s license a must.
Success Centers is an equal opportunity employer. This opportunity is at-will and is dependent on the availability of funds. To apply please forward your resume and a cover letter to HR@successcenters.org or submit them in the form below.
For more information on this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org