Rising Sun Center for Opportunity is hiring a Career Services Manager. The position is responsible for providing professional development, job placement, and retention support to adult program participants of our Opportunity Build program. Opportunity Build is a certified Multi-Craft Core Curriculum apprenticeship readiness training program that provides a pathway out of poverty for adults who aspire to obtain high road jobs in the union construction trades. The goal of the program is to take people who have little to no construction background to apprenticeship readiness in 10 weeks. Opportunity Build serves low-income adults experiencing significant barriers to employment, with an emphasis on serving women and individuals impacted by the justice system. Opportunity Build’s trauma-informed, wholeperson approach provides not only practical training, but also the individualized support needed to help participants overcome barriers to employment.
The Career Services Manager meets regularly with each participant, helps them to develop an employment plan, supports each person’s transition into an apprenticeship or other employment, and tracks progress over 12 months after program graduation. The Career Services Manager is responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with the building trades unions, apprenticeship programs, and construction employers, and a variety of related stakeholders. This position helps to advance Rising Sun’s commitment to offering highroad career opportunities while building economic and climate resilience for priority communities.
The Career Services Manager reports directly to the Opportunity Build Program Manager and works in close coordination with the dedicated Opportunity Build team, and is an integral part of an organization committed to making a significant and lasting impact in the lives of hundreds of people every year.
RISING SUN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Rising Sun is committed to diversity and considers all applicants for all positions without regard to color, ethnic background, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, and disability status. EOE/AA; women and minorities are encouraged to apply. For more information about Rising Sun, please visit www.risingsunopp.org
A successful Career Services Manager…
- Has a passion for working one-on-one with adults seeking additional support to be successful in their careers, and is committed to working alongside individuals to succeed
- Has a strong understanding of apprenticeship programs and union requirements; holds connections with local unions and construction employers
- Enjoys working in the community and meeting new people; strong relationship-building skills
- Has an aptitude and a passion for motivating job seekers to set goals, as well as to find, obtain, and stay in a career
- Maintains professional boundaries while treating individuals with respect and compassion
- Remains calm under pressure; handles emotionally challenging situations with professionalism and intention
- Is highly skilled at classroom management; has experience training adult learners on job readiness and professional development topics
- Is extremely well-organized; able to create and maintain all necessary paperwork, data, and case notes to ensure outcomes are achieved for each participant; understands that quality direct services have to be backed up with good documentation
- Can serve as a coach for Opportunity Build program participants, modeling stability and consistency
- Communicates effectively with program participants, team members, partners, and employers; able to develop rapport and build trust with a diverse range of individuals
- Demonstrates self-awareness, in terms of understanding their own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power, privilege, and stereotypes
- Demonstrates willingness to challenge and change institutional practices that present barriers to different groups
The Career Services Manager is responsible for…
- Providing career services, including job placement and retention support, for 80+ individuals each year, ensuring all goals for job placement and retention are met
- Supporting each participant during cohort and for a 12-month period in their search for a job and/or apprenticeship; helping them identify goals and strengths, supporting them in test and interview prep, referring them to opportunities, maintaining a job search log, sending weekly job postings, etc.
- Developing lesson plans, and teaching/training, topics relevant to finding, getting, and keeping a job, such as resumes, interview preparation, the job search, hunt vs. list trades, etc.
- Reaching out to and meeting regularly with unions, apprenticeship programs, and construction companies, to build and maintain a referral network for job placement
- Understanding what each trade offers (pay, benefits package etc.) and the requirements and application materials needed for each apprenticeship program within the building trades
- Planning and coordinating cohort field trips to job sites, training centers, and local union shops
- Tracking, verifying, and recording job retention through collection of pay stubs; tracking all placement, employment verification, and employment retention outcomes
- Tracking employer outreach; tracking career placement and apprenticeships; logging case notes and keeping all required forms and documentation updated
Coordinating with Opportunity Build’s many partners to ensure the curriculum aligns with employer needs in order to maintain strong employer relationships
- Facilitating alumni meetings; planning and hosting ongoing job readiness workshops and other gatherings for program alumni; conducting outreach to alumni to keep them engaged and connected
- Working in close coordination with all members of the Opportunity Build team to meet graduation, placement, and retention goals, as well as to ensure a seamless, positive experience for each participant
- Working with the Opportunity Build team to continually improve the program and participant outcomes
Other responsibilities as required
To hold this position, you must… (We are serious; no matter how much we like you, we simply cannot consider you for this position if you do not meet the following)
- Have a fundamental understanding of apprenticeship programs and union requirements in the Bay Area and hold connections with local unions and construction employers
- Able to travel within the East Bay
- Be able to work some flexible hours (e.g., occasional evenings and weekends)
It is a big plus if you…
- Have experience working with workforce development/job training programs
- Have direct experience in or with the building and construction trades
- Have experience with the Multi-Craft Core Curriculum
- Have experience using Salesforce, CalJobs, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office
- Have 2 years’ experience working with disadvantaged and/or low-income individuals
- Have experience working with the re-entry population
- Have a car, valid driver’s license, and insurance
About our culture:
We are mission-driven and work hard because we care deeply about what we do. We are deeply committed to equity and inclusion and want to do the self-work necessary to be successful in these areas. We like working with each other and we like to make work fun. We like to try new things and encourage each other to find unique and unconventional ways to tackle tough problems. We celebrate every birthday, eat a lot of dessert together, and recycle the same birthday candles until they’re gone. There’s usually at least one dog hanging around the office, and sometimes a staff member’s kid or two as well. We want people to grow. We like to promote from within and build each other up, but we also like to bring in new ideas and different perspectives. We’re looking forward to meeting you and hearing about how you can contribute to making Rising Sun a great place to work.
You might also be wondering about pay and benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried, benefited position. Salary is commensurate with experience and competitive with other nonprofit organizations. Rising Sun offers a competitive benefits package that includes paid time off, personal, and parental leave, access to a 403b retirement plan, and work-from-home options. Rising Sun covers 100% of employee medical, dental, vision, and life insurance premiums, and covers 50% of the premiums for dependents.